Friday, August 23, 2013

The six posts I have meant to write in the last six weeks


Apparently, especially after baby #2 arrives, my life will be more about bulletpoints than full paragraphs or even sentences, so here are the highlights of all of the food thoughts that have been in my brain, and some on our plates, in the last month and a half.

1) Indian food

I got hit with a craving a few weeks ago that could not be solved by anyone else in the greater Memphis area: Indian food. When large, and pregnant, which also means lazy and tired, sometimes you just want to ORDER your cravings. But short of a drive to like, Nashville, that wasn't happening, so I spent far too much time and energy making and fulfilling that craving. It was worth the time, and here is my plate, after I took a few bites, because I was too eager to eat and forgot to photograph BEFORE starting. Chicken Tikka Masala and Spicy Sauteed Spinach

2) Vacation cooking

We went away in mid August for a week, and we had a full kitchen in our condo and eating out every meal with a toddler is stressful and annoying. I read and cooked most everything off this article and thought it was genius. I have nothing further to add than to suggest reading it before your next vacation where you rent a house. http://www.finecooking.com/collections/vacation-cooking.aspx

3) Toddler lunches

Claire started school this week and making lunches has proven to be kind of a fun project and also a challenge. She eats at home like most toddlers do - I offer 3-4 options on her plate, and usually at least 2 more are presented during the course of the meal. I was perplexed how to do this at school as everything is supposed to be packaged in a way they can open themselves (Montessori philosophy of teaching them self sufficiency) and so I found these bento cups and they are the perfect solution for compartmentalizing an already compartmentalized tupperware container. Lunches are coming home 75-80% eaten and I'm thrilled! Toddlers are such consumers - the prettier it is, the more likely they are to eat it.

4) Dip

Here is a Jalapeno-Artichoke dip for upcoming football season. Dan got it from a work potluck he went to. You can thank me later.

Pre-heat oven to 400 Degrees
 
·         14 oz can of artichoke hearts
·         8 oz cream cheese
·         8 oz Fiesta Mexican Cheese with spices
·         ½ cup mayo
·         5 green onions chopped
·         ½ (or more) cup of jalapeno slices
·         3 cloves of garlic (minced)
·         4 oz can of chopped green chili’s

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and pour in a baking dish.  Bake at 25 -30 minutes


 

5) Tofu kabobs

I tried a recipe earlier this month that mixed tofu, mushrooms, orange slices and green onions on kabobs, with the tofu and mushrooms carefully drained and marinated. The marinade and sauce itself was underwhelming but the concept really works, for those of you into Meatless Mondays, or general meatless eating.




6) Caramelized onions

This subject came up recently, as caramelized onions have to be the most useful thing ever to have in your fridge - they go into sandwiches, salads, pastas, etc. Someone asked how I make them without burning them, and I have to tell you there is no recipe. Pick an afternoon you are going to be home. Slice or chop up a few onions. Pour a heavy pour of olive oil into a large saute pan. Put the heat on low, as low as it will go. Throw a very large pinch or two of salt on there. Stir them every half an hour or so. They will be ready in about 3 hours. Or five. They take a long time. Be patient.

Or, you can do this: Caramelized Onions in 15 minutes

And, I leave you with my protege:



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio